The spaces in your website or app where you wish to show ads are ad units and have definitions of attributes such as the size of the ad format that can show in the ad space. A tag is generated for each ad unit to create an ad unit, and the tag is further added to your app or webpage.
The ad tag requests an ad to Ad Manager every time a user visits the webpage or app. The eligibility to serve an ad to that request is dependent on the campaigns that can reference or target that ad unit.
How to create an ad unit?
- You need to sign in to Google Ad Manager and click on inventory and then ad units.
- Choose the ad unit under which you wish to have the new ad unit appear in the hierarchy. Ad units can be created with up to two levels of organizational hierarchy or five levels in Google Ad Manager 360-
- Click on View in the “Child ad units” column in the table of existing ads and go to the desired parent ad unit. A new filter with “Parent is ad unit name” would appear.
- In case you do not choose a parent ad unit, the new ad unit would appear at the top level.
- Click on the new ad unit.
- The new parent ad unit would show the chosen ad unit or top-level if an ad unit were not selected. If you wish to update this setting and see the probable ad units, you have to delete the current value.
- With the purpose of identification of the ad unit in the associate ad tag, enter a code that can be changed later.
- The code must be easily identifiable- for instance- News_International_BoxATF or Leaderboard_BTF.
- If you wish to reuse codes, it can be done only on different ad unit levels; for instance- you can reuse home at mysite_economy_home and mysite_weather_home.
- In an Ad Exchange ad unit, reuse of code is not possible, irrespective of different ad unit levels.
- Optionally, you can enter the name and description for the ad unit. You can include information about the ad unit’s location in the name because it is helpful.
- Optionally, you can also set Sizes. In association with the ad unit, you can add multiple sizes. Addition of sites helps traffickers filter according to size when adding ad units to targeting in a line item. Ad serving is not affected by ad serving.
- To define a list of sizes for creative that you expect this ad unit to serve, you have to select Fixed Size. If the creatives do not fit in the traditional banner space or browser window, including the Out-of-page window. If the ad unit has to be used for native ads, include Fluid size.
- If the ad unit is for a mobile app and you wish that the ad unit has a fixed height and fills the screen’s width, choose Smart Banner.
- Next to Video (VAST) sizes, enter the default master video and companion sizes, and this is applicable only for video solutions.
- This is not applicable for Ad Exchange tags. Define the Target window that sets the target attribute of the ad’s click-through link to inform the browser of where the ad’s landing page must be opened.
- _top: The landing page will break out of any framesets and load in the window’s full body.
- _blank: The landing page opens in a new, unnamed window.
- These, again, do not apply to Ad exchange tags and are advanced. You can make additions to these optional features and settings to the ad unit as required.
- Special ad units- requires explicit targeting of the ad unit for line items to serve.
- Rewards- enter information about the rewards a user gets to watch a video ad.
- Placements- check on the boxes next to one or more placement names to associate them with your new ad unit.
- AdSense- click on the checkbox to give access to the ad unit’s inventory to AdSense buyers.
- Frequency caps-
Label Frequency caps- Limit the number of impressions shown to users for creative that share the defined labels.
Set ad unit frequency caps- Limit the number of creatives that serve in the ad unit within a time period. This is useful when you wish to set limits across a format, and these are organized according to ad units.
- Refresh rate- set a refresh rate for mobile app inventory, defining how often a new ad impression is generated. Google Ad Manager auto-populates a value of 60, which can be changed to any value between 30 and 120 seconds.
- Labels- To apply creative wrappers, when creatives are served to the ad unit, add labels to the ad unit.
- Teams- To restrict access, associate this ad unit if your network uses Teams.
- The new ad unit will appear in the table if you click save.
- To block/allow advertisers, brands, ad technologies, categories, and more, click on View in the protections column.
Our Recommended Monetization Partners:
I and my team research various ad networks and can help you increase your overall ad revenue; so you could rake in more greenbacks with the best video monetization platforms. I am just a mail away, so reach out to me if you want to scale up your website revenue. mail: [email protected]